Prevent Garage Door Problems during Winter10/02/2014 Back To Blog
With the winter season slowly approaching, mornings are actually getting frostier and chillier. When the snow finally falls, everything seems to slow down. In fact, it seems like we need more effort to get tasks done. There are even times when the garage door freezes. To prevent this from happening, here are some winter maintenance ideas to make your life easier during this harsh season and keep your door working smoothly:
Open and Close the Door Everyday
• Lubricate Moving Parts with the Right Solution – During winter season, it is vital to lubricate the moving parts of the garage door using the right lubricant. However, you should apply the right amount of the solution to prevent over lubrication.
• Clean the Weather Stripping – It is also important to clean the weather stripping using a soft cloth and a mixture of mild detergent and warm water.
• Inspect the Mechanism – You should also inspect the door’s working mechanism and check to see if there is ice, debris and any other blocks.
• Open and Close the Door Everyday – By opening and closing the door every day, you are preventing frost build up. This will also ensure that everything is working properly.
• Shovel the Snow Away – You should also make it a habit to shovel the snow away from the door. If this is left unattended, it can cause your door to freeze.
• Use Table Salt – Sprinkling table salt along the door seal will prevent the snow from freezing the door close. Salt reduces the freezing point of water. This makes it difficult for water to freeze.
• Warm Your Car Outside – It is advisable to warm your car outside the garage. If you do it inside, this can melt the ice surrounding your door. While it may not be a problem at this time, melted snow can refreeze and can cause your door to get frozen too.
You should not let winter season get in your way. Follow these ideas to be ahead of the game and protect your door from freezing.